First steps in adoption
Adoption is the legal operation which creates a parentage lineage between the adopter and the adopted and kinship between the adoptee and the adopter’s relatives, under Article 451 of the Romanian Civil Code.
Through adoption, the child without parents or appropriate care is received in the adoptive family where, where he is to be raised as their natural child. As such, this process extends throughout their life and the adopted child is entitled to know his/her genetic identity and life history.
Domestic adoption procedure
- Obtaining the certificate that proves the family / person is able to adopt;
- Matching between the adopter and the adopted child;
- Custody of the child for adoption;
- Approval of the adoption;
- Post-adoption monitoring;
Inter-country adoption procedure
The procedure for inter-country adoption of a child resident in Romania takes place according to the Hague Convention on children protection and cooperation in respect of intercountry adoption.